The Barriere and District Heritage Society was formed in 1984 with the mandate to preserve artifacts and record history of the North Thompson Valley from Little Fort (Mount Olie) to McLure and surrounding areas.
In 1987, an Expo Legacy Grant allowed the Society to purchase property with vacant BC Forest Service buildings constructed in 1948. The buildings had been occupied until the late 1970’s. The North Thompson Museum and Archives was established and continues to be managed by volunteers of the Barriere & District Heritage Society.
The Society relies on many public and private donations – along with BC Government Community Gaming Grants, these monies continue to sustain our public programs and operations. Over the years specific projects such as our Heritage Gardens, Tool Shed, Livery Stable and exterior painting restoration have been supported by various individuals and organizations [see “Thank You” page].
In 2004, after more than 10 years of research and interviews, the Society published a history book “Exploring our Roots” [see our “News” link for more information on purchasing this publication].
Current regular programs include: Demo Days for elementary school children, assisting local schools during Heritage Week, guided tours for small groups and an Annual Quilt Show.
Two raffles a year, plus a Spring Yarden and Bake Sale are additional fundraising activities organized by our hard-working volunteers.
The Museum grounds include a Trapper’s Cabin, outdoor shed for antique farm equipment, Livery Stable housing a steam-powered train engine and a Country Store display with living quarters attached.
The latest addition of a Replica 1800’s School House opened in June 2018.